Sunday, January 3, 2010

Finally found a use for D&D minis

Today I decided to really do some work on To Think of Nothing, and I got a lot done. Part of it was working with Bernie, who will be my co-director in order to satisfy school rules; we combined our powers to generate some cool ideas. And part of it was the fact that I finally found a way to make a useful physical model of the stage.

I'm a very visual learner, and sometimes it's hard for me to see what the stage composition will look like just in my head. This gave me a way to experiment with blocking in such a way as I could see what everyone will look like in relation to everyone else. For the stage itself I used a dungeon tile. Three d6's stood in for stage blocks, while part of a tiny jewelry box lid became the desk. I picked eight miniature figures and wrapped each one in a colored flag with the first initial of the character they represented on it. With this, I could click them around the stage and check their positioning.

I've always been inclined to use aids like this, but I've never exactly figured out howto make the model before. These D&D accoutrements have served nicely. I think this will help me a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...