Thursday, December 31, 2009

Wardrobe evaluation

Because I just wrote a post that was meditative and deep, being me, I have to follow it up with one that is completely shallow. I have recently discovered an interesting style blog called Wardrobe Oxygen that is interesting and informative as the writer takes the approach that a little knowhow and taste can make anyone of any body type look fantastic, and you don't need to spend a ton on clothes to put together a great look. I especially liked her article Staples for Every Woman's Wardrobe, which tells you what basics you should have to optimize your closet for the most use and best look. As I am endeavoring to learn how to dress better and look more put together, I am evaluating my own wardrobe against this list and seeing what I need to look into.

I don't have a tailored black suit. It's probably a good idea, but I've never been a big fan of suits for myself. Maybe a tailored one would be flattering, but I'm afraid it would negatively emphasize my petiteness and make me look like a kid playing dressup. Anyway that's not in the budget at the moment, and I have things that could sub in for this in most appropriate situations.

I don't have a decent pair of black dress slacks. The one I do have, to give you a frame of reference, was most recently worn in the service of making me look like a man-- they're slightly too big and do not flatter my shape in any way. This is something worth looking into; could come in handy in so many contexts. I do have a black dress skirt-- short enough to be interesting, but still professional-looking and dressy --but the fabric's getting a bit nappy and it's close to wearing out, so I should probably look into replacing it.

I have nice jeans. I have lots of nice jeans. I am Lucky Brand's zombie slave, because they're gorgeous and so flattering. At the moment, I have seven pairs of undamaged nice jeans and two more that are ripped but still look good and are wearable. I love them so much, and when left to my own devices don't usually wear anything else. Basically, I am set for jeans until I get fat. :-)

I have black heeled boots. They're new, too, and lovely, though they're my rain boots they are such beautiful elegant leather they can be worn as dress shoes. My calves just a bit too narrow for the shafts of the boots, but other than that they're fantastic.

I don't exactly have black pumps. I have black high-heeled sandals that I've had forever and are sexy and I love, and with stockings they are totally dressy enough. But as long as I've had them they're getting a little worn, so maybe I should look into replacing them.

I have several little black dresses, since I think they're just about the greatest things ever. I have a party dress suitable for many kinds of occasions, a cocktail dress that's sexy but elegant, and a club dress that looks painted on. :-) To be honest, the party dress is nice but I don't love it, as it's got an empire waist and the loose skirt doesn't particularly flatter my narrow shape. I wonder if I could belt it with something to give me a little more definition. The others serve their purpose admirably. :-D

I have silver earrings. I love simple elegant real precious metal earrings, and wear them with pretty much any outfit. Nice jewelry gets me every time.

I have a signature accessory-- that would be my lovely anniversary necklace that I wear almost every day. Elegant and simple, its white gold and diamonds go with everything, and it's probably my favorite thing that I own.

I don't exactly have a black or gray merino V-neck sweater, but I have similar. Since getting a job and especially since the turn into winter, I wear a lot of sweaters these days because they're a simple way to look put together and still be warm. Also, I love merino, a special kind of wool; it's gorgeous, soft, wears well, and looks way more expensive than it is. Can never have too much merino.

I have many trendy skirts. Most of my skirts are very short, (the plaid schoolgirl, the brown denim, the layered white, the tan suede) but I have several cute and versatile ones, and at least one nice long one, red with a black and white butterfly motif. Might be worth it to have more longs, just to give dressing up options.

I have a couple of trendy jackets-- tan suede, green cuorderoy, black velour, and they're not difficult to matchto clothes and shoes. I've even got a red blazer and a gray one in a pinch. I'm a fan of nice jackets.

I'm... not certain if I have a good evening top. I have a fantastic silky red blouse (the only really nice thing I ever got at New York and Company, the downscale Express) but it's a little formal. Hmm... not sure what qualifies for this, but I feel like I've got to have something pretty and hot that I could throw on for a party or under a jacket for going out.

I have found the perfect T. I love Mossimo's v-neck form-fitting shirts in all their lovely colors. I have three right now, in pink, purple, and green. I really should pick up more of these, they're so versatile and nice.

I have a couple well-fitting wool winter coats. One is the thigh-length green one that was my costume for playing bronzite's NPC (very kind of him to let me keep it) and one is the calf-length black one that used to be my mothers. My desire to dress better lately has lead me to favor these kinds of coats, as they're so much nicer-looking than my hated Gortex Scourge of Winter ski jacket. Also, they're easily to pair with a matching scarf-and-gloves set to dress them up.

I have great-fitting bras and no-visible-panty-line underwear. I have to; being a little on the small side up top, my rack benefits greatly from proper display. Also, there's nothing tackier than visible panty lines, and I am a lady.

I have recently discovered the wonders of pashmina. I have a couple, but the more colors you have, the more outfits you can coordinate them with. They are warm as well as beautiful.

I do not have a clutch purse. While I agree that one's everyday bag should not be carried to formal occasions, I don't exactly attend a whole lot of formal occasions and thus don't have much need for them. Still, if ever I do, I should probably look into it.

I have nice everday bags, both leather and quite handsome. I still hate having to carry one these days, but if I've got to by God I'm going to like them. The small one has a shoulder strap that can be separated by unzipping it into backpack straps, and the larger one is a shoulder bag and buttery-soft. I kind of wish I had a black one, as both of them are brown and don't always match what I'm wearing.

I have sexy shoes, and boots as well. I don't wear them as often as I'd like to, as my feet wear out very quickly, but heels are sexy and fun and a great way to dress up an outfit.

I have sunglasses. They're prescription as I don't wear contacts, but they're a bit stronger than my regular eyeglasses they sometimes give me a headache. That leads to me not wearing them as often as may be healthy for my eyes.

Wow, looking over this list, I'm in better shape than I thought I would be. Still, next time I plan to shop for clothes, I should probably keep the gaps here in mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...