Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Productive day

I am pleased to report that yesterday was a productive day. Got a good chunk of work done on the Labor Wars character sheet that is due for our next meeting, though I'm not quite finished with her yet. I like this character; I think she's the sort I'd be happy to play. I hope I'm doing her justice.

Also, made a little progress on acquiring set pieces for To Think of Nothing. I accompanied Bernie to Staples and happened to find a stack of desk blotters, a number of which were out of their packaging and somewhat damaged. The new ones were forty dollars, significantly more than I was willing to spend on such a thing, but it occurred to me to ask if I could buy the messed up ones at a discount. They let me have it for three dollars plus tax! It's not even all that damaged; I think with a little repair and polish I can get it looking good as new. :-)

We also went to Home Depot, where I asked about changing the color of the Ikea shelf. The guy told me it would take a lot of luck, skill, time, effort, and tools to get that thing to look halfway decent, and I probably wouldn't have any success with anything that would make it look like wood. I also would probably end up spending so much on the necessary paint and tools that I should probably just buy a new cheap shelf in the color I wanted. Well, not what I wanted to hear, but okay. On to plan B. So I did. I got a new shelf about six feet tall and two-and-some feet across in a much darker wood color that looks significantly less cheap and tacky for about thirty dollars. Not bad for how much nicer it looks than it is. I think I will keep it myself after we use it for the show and not ask for reimbursement. I'm a bit disappointed my five-dollar, perfectly-sized find didn't work out, but no matter. I can always just sell it to somebody for what I paid for it. :-) Certainly somebody can use a perfectly good bookshelf.

Tonight I will be having rigel* and bleemoo* come over for dinner. I'm really looking forward to it, I've never gotten the chance to cook for them before. I'm going to try an apple cider chicken recipe that I've never gotten to make before because I don't know what to substitute for the heavy cream in the sauce. Should be a tasty meal, with very lovely company.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...