Friday, January 15, 2010

Alas, sweater

As part of my New Years resolution to dress better, I think I will occasionally discuss my thoughts on what I'm wearing these days and what works and what doesn't.

I think one of the reasons people wear schlubby clothes that don't make them look good is because at one point those clothes actually did make them look good. I think this is the reason why I've been holding on to this one sweater I have that I always really liked, but just isn't getting the job done anymore. I've been in denial about that fact.

Today I decided to go for a more polished look and went to the old standby classic of white collared blouse under nice V-neck sweater. It's a great classy look that, if you can get two pieces that layer well together, flatters pretty much anyone no matter your body type. It's also warmer in the winter to have the extra layer. I chose the white striped blouse I have to either wearing something over or something under because it's so sheer and my gray cable-knit V-neck sweater. At first glance it looks good, because they fit together and the cuts are right, but on closer inspection the sweater has stretched such that the fit is just slightly off at all points of my torso, that lost definition making me look wider in the waist and flatter in the bust. There's also a very unattractive bowing in the elbows when I straighten my arms. To top it all off, it's gotten to pill pretty badly.

I am disappointed, because once this sweater looked really great on me, but I think I've been trying to make it work like it used to when it just isn't as nice as it used to be. Looking at the label, it's a wool-nylon-cashmere blend-- not exactly known for holding its shape or its quality. This sweater is worn out, and that means I should get rid of it. I am resistant because I don't have another sweater with quite the same obliging cut to accomodate blouses underneath, and certainly not in this nice charcoal color. And of course, it used to look nice on me, and I want that look it gave me back. But that means I should replace this one with a new one that serves the same function, a nicer one maybe in higher-quality merino wool that will not wear as badly. After I think four years of wear, this one is really showing it's age and is no longer flattering on me.

What I have learned from this is that clothing that doesn't fit right is not clothing I should be wearing. And if a piece of clothing used to fit right and doesn't anymore, I need to let it go. I may hold onto this particular piece until the end of the season, I've been needing sweaters a lot in this cold weather, but once things warm up, I am jettisoning the thing and looking into finding a superior replacement for the next cold season.

Maybe I should work out my grouchiness issues like this too. That other New Years resolution hasn't been going so well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...