Monday, January 18, 2010

Trip to Natick and the return of Jared

Escaped to the Natick Mall today to get out of an overcrowded house. Though I usually try not to actually spend any money while I'm there, I mostly just go to have a comfortable place to walk around and think, I got suckered into it this time around.

The first thing I went for was a sample size of a blend of White Ayurvedic Chai and Samurai Chai Mate at Teavana. I like tea in theory and would really like to be able to enjoy it, but most kinds taste so bitter or bland to me lately. I think it may be a combination of the fact that delicious, delicious Oregon Chai Latte Mix is so unbelievably delicious no other tea can ever live up to it, and the fact that I only really have had cheap bag teas. The only kinds I've liked lately have been the good stuff from nice shops like Teavana, which friends like Bernie have made for me from their stashes. So I bit the bullet and bought a little to try out. I tried this blend in the store; it was a sweet, spicy cinnamon flavor. Though the salesgirl tried to talk me into it, I did not buy the German rock sugar or the metal storage tins, but only this little sample, which I have put into a metal thermos I have. I just tried some. I think I brewed it wrong, my tea mugs I think are a lot bigger than the recommended eight ounces, so it came out a little weak. Still, even weak it's kind of nice. If I make it in the right amount of water, I'm sure it'll come out even better.

The second thing I bought was a gorgeous wool camel-colored coat at New York & Company that was fifty percent off. Normally I think of New York & Company as "downscale Express" but this coat is really well-made and beautiful. I probably shouldn't have, but I went for it. It'll go with everything, I know I'll wear it everywhere, and it's nice enough I'll probably have it forever. God knows I can't go out without a coat on unless it's the middle of summer, so it's nice to have a couple different coats so as not to wear any one in particular out. Accessorized with a scarf and complementary gloves, it will work beautifully with just about everything.

On another retail-related note, I hope Jared likes the anniversary present I got for him. Previous years' gifts were the rapier and the beautiful silver pocket watch, which were perfect and clever on my part and which he very much enjoyed. I couldn't come up with anything quite so unique this time, so I went with something he'll definitely use and benefit from but is a lot more mundane. I hope it goes over well. Jared gets back to Boston tonight, and I'm going to be picking him up. I can't wait to see him. Maybe I'll give him his present tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...