Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Costuming ingenuity

I am quite pleased with myself.

Tonight I decided to give a little preliminary thought to my costume for Redemption. I was getting quite discouraged, going through all my clothes and various costume pieces trying to figure out what had that I could possibly wear as an Old West saloon girl and coming up with nothing. The only possibilty that seemed even vaguely close was this dress I thrifted a while back that is black lace overlaid on pale yellow. It's not really something I'd ever wear normally, and I keep being this close to throwing it away except for its potential to be useful as a costume. Still, even this isn't really right. So I started browsing the Internet looking for a more setting-appropriate saloon girl outfit for cheap.

I found a couple of neat, nice-looking options, but they were still just a little bit more money than I wanted to spend. I considered forking over the money, but then took a closer look and actually took note of the elements that went into the costumes-- bodices, gathered skirts, off-the-shoulder blouses. Huh. So I went back to my closet and tried to see what could simulate the same look. I put on the yellow dress with the lace overlay. Then I undid all the buttons on a gauzy ruffled black blouse and put it on over it. Lastly I pulled my black Victoria's Secret bodice (maybe bustier is a better word) on top of it all, and arranged the blouse so that it fell off my shoulders. Combined with my Victorian necklace, matching earrings, and my hair up, I had assembled a reasonable facsimile of the expensive ensembles I saw on the Internet, all out of stuff in my closet.

It's not a perfect look; there's too much black, but I'm not sure how to include any more color. I still could probably use a crinoline under the skirt, a pair of fishnet stockings, and maybe a lacy garter. And I still haven't decided what shoes I should wear, though I have several possibilities. I could probably go to the game as I am now and look great for the part, though I wouldn't mind buying those couple of other little accessories. I'm just really proud of myself for, instead of blowing money on an outfit I'd never wear again, putting together a solid basic costume without spending a dime on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...