Friday, February 5, 2010

Costume success!

Hit the thrift store today in hopes of finding something for use in To Think of Nothing. The biggest thing I was looking for a red formal dress for Frances. Her character Andromeda is supposed to look like she was dressed for an evening out at the theater. I wasn't expecting to see anything suitable, but to my pleasant surprise I found an elegant gown in a perfect color. I tried it on myself, and found it a very nice fit. This made me optimistic, as Frances is similarly shaped to me, but I immediately after became nervous, as I have tried on costume pieces on her behalf before that did not always end up fitting her. Still, it was just the look I wanted, so I decided to take the chance and buy it. When Frances and Brenda came over for dinner tonight, she offered to try it on. Figuring I should get my heart broken sooner rather than later, I agreed. I waited in the kitchen, my breath caught in my throat... only to have my lovely leading lady emerge looking perfect in the gown. I couldn't believe I actually lucked out! So, for only eight dollars, Andromeda is excellently costumed.

It needs ironing, and it will have to be hemmed to proper length, but that's nothing I can't take care of. Will have to investigate how to accomplish the sewing. So that means Frances, Jared, and Plesser are dressed. Jared will be wearing a sky blue button-down shirt. Plesser will be wearing the blue Elizabethan doublet my mother made for my brother when he played Romeo a few years back. It's a beautiful piece, blue velour on one side and reversible with a silky blue patterned other side. If we had more time and a bigger budget, I might ask her to make the costume for Charlotte. I need a burgundy Elizabethan gown for her, which might be tough to find. If worst comes to worse, I think she may have a burgundy dress that we might be able to make seem Elizabethan in a pinch. We need a green button-down for Kindness, but that won't be tough to find. If he doesn't have one of his own, Jared does.

Not sure what were going to do about the Graces. They need to look ancient Greek, but not too cheesy costumey ancient Greek. If we can find white gowns with that air that would be fine, and if worst comes to worst, Steph knows how to make pretty cool-looking chitons out of sheets.

So we're in pretty good shape, costume-wise. And we're keeping the budget low too! Hooray!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...