Friday, February 19, 2010

Chores for the play

Ugh. Unexpectedly rough afternoon yesterday. Spent the afternoon doing play-related chores.

After a dry cleaner telling me it would cost forty goddamn bucks to get Frances's dress hemmed and pressed, I went home to just do the thing myself. Fired up the old iron and gave it a thorough once-over, but it didn't work perfectly and I think it ever-so-slightly lightened the color. I also don't have the right color thread to properly sew the hem, so I carefully measured out how much it needed to be taken up and tacked it in place with tape. But the tape isn't totally invisible, so that's going to have to be fixed too.

Then I started putting together the diorama. Cut out pictures, text boxes, mounting paper. Every piece I currently have (pictures, bios, and banners) is now glued on to the board. I'm still missing bios from Jared and Plesser, and I still haven't printed out Kindness's headshot because for some reason my printer still fucking objects. Also, I need to figure out how I'm going to get the title on their to the correct dimensions. I finally killed my pot of rubber cement, though seeing as I've been getting by on the same jar since freshman year I'm pretty lucky I got as far as I did. This process-- from printing to cutting to experimenting with the layout to glueing everything in place --took two and a half hours, and by the time I was done I was shockingly exhausted and had a hell of a crick in my neck and back from being bent over either the board or the dress for the whole afternoon.

Then, after a pleasant meeting with friends at Lizzie's where I could have no ice cream (no sugar for me), I took Frances's dress and some clothes for the morning to Jared's place. He left his keys with me before he left for vacation so I could get in if I needed to. One of the few good things about living is grad is that they never run out of hot water, so I ran a scaldingly hot shower and hung the dress up in the bathroom in hopes that the steam would get some of the wrinkles out. Sadly no luck. By this point I was so tired that I pretty much just crashed into Jared's bed without even brushing out my hair.

I'm paying for that today, though. I am a frizzy staticky mess this morning, which looks even worse when I try to do anything with it. Bah. I've got too much to still do today to worry about it. I'm not giving up on that dress yet. I have read on the Internet that sometimes spritzing dresses with water and throwing it in the dryer can help. Unfortunately the dress doesn't have any kind of tag in it, so I'm not certain it's dryer-safe. I'm considering taking it to a different dry cleaner, though I'm concerned about their ability to get it done before I need it on Sunday. I guess I could iron it again, but I'm kind of afraid more heat would damage it. I don't know. I guess I've just got to start trying things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...