Monday, December 21, 2009

Eventful weekend, installment 2: Shopping on Saturday

Saturday I finished writing my personal statement for graduate school, sent it in to the teachers I asked for recommendations, and celebrated having that weight off my mind. Then I made the perilous journey out to the Natick Mall to do Christmas shopping for my family before I go home. Even the place hadn't been wall-to-wall packed with people-- I had to creepily follow patrons who were leaving in my car in order to find a parking space --this job would have been hard enough to get done, since my family except for Casey is so hard to buy for. My dislike of stuff is mirrored to varying degrees in my parents; if it's not nice stuff my mom can do without it, and if you quit looking at stuff too long in our house my dad will throw it out to escape the burden of its stuffy imposition. For Mom I got beautiful black leather gloves with cashmere lining, which are attractive and functional and I actually wouldn't mine owning a pair myself, so I'm pleased there. My brother will get this fantastically ugly hipsterish plaid flannel that apparently is his style these days. As for my dad, well, picking something for him was hell, and none of the ideas I had panned out. He wants nothing, needs nothing, prefers nothing, and on the rare occasion he does want something he will immediately get it for himself in precisely the style and variety he finds optimal for his needs to a degree that no outside gift-giver could ever possibly equal. I settled on nice beer glasses, since he's taken to brewing his own beer, but chances are he's already found himself exactly the beer glasses he wants and I will just throw up my hands at trying to honor the Christmas generosity ritual with him at all.

On Wednesday I collect my bags, my gifts, and my brother and head on home to Allentown for the end of the week. I won't be gone long, just until early next Sunday, which I'm glad for, but it'll be nice to spend the holiday with the family. Alas when I return I will no longer have the house to myself. *sigh* Ah, well. It was heavenly while it lasted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...