Sunday, April 12, 2009

My poor shoes

I am so hard on shoes. In the last couple of months, I think I have rendered two pairs completely unwearable. I'm not sure what I do to them, but they just get stomped flat before very long at all. I got a pair of expensive sneakers that I really liked for Christmas and by Intercon weekend, just two months later, all the arch support in them was completely gone and I was aching. I've been informed that I have slightly flat feet, and I get in a lot of pain if I wear shoes with no arch support. Honestly, that never really made sense to me-- wouldn't flat feet, which press closer into the ground, need less support than a high arch? I don't know. I just know I'm supposed to have flat feet but I need the support. Whatever, maybe I've been misinformed. I'm just pissed that these shoes I really liked are ruined with only two months of wear. I'm wondering if there's any way to save them, like maybe putting arch-supporting insoles in them or something, but I probably should just throw them out and open up the space in my closet.

Recently I've discovered that my ballet flats also seem to be shot. This is a little bit more troublesome, as I don't have any other pair that can easily fill in for them. They aren't new, at least, I've had them for two, maybe three years now. They've been my standby shoe when I need something a little dressier but have two much walking to do to wear heels. I had to dress up today because we went out to a fancy brunch, and because we'd be walking around the city I brought home my ballet flats of saving my feet. I wore them onstage in both Lear and Midsummer, and it was starting to become clear that they were wearing out then, but now I'm certain. It's frustrating because now I'm going to have to get new flat dress shoes, which I wish to spend neither money nor time on right now. I'm also wondering if it's worth it to keep these old ones; they've proven themselves useful for plays, even if they're no longer particularly comfortable, but I've put up with worse for the sake of a show. And it would save having to destroy new ones for a role.

I don't usually enjoy shoe shopping. I mean, it's fun to get new fun shoes, but with my pain issues it's rare that I wear anything but sneakers except for dressy occasions, and I have so few of those I feel a little guilty for spending money on shoes I'm not going to wear often. But if I don't spend real money on it, they're not any good and they wear out too quickly. I should probably just set aside a little time and cash and get a good pair of pretty ballet flats that I could wear with nicer clothes. Especially if I'm going to be working full time soon, and will probably need to look professional. Nothing bugs me more than when people are dressed to the nines, except for the stupid incongruous sneakers they're wearing. If I have a little free time, I should set it aside and just get it done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...