Friday, January 7, 2011

Someday, a cookbook


Someday, I think I would like to write a cookbook. I enjoy cookbooks immensely, particularly when they contain more food writing than just recipes. It has been a trend in cookbooks lately to include little anecdotes related to the recipe's history in your family or some such, and I often do enjoy those, but I particularly like when cookbooks have interesting information about food in general. The Silver Palate Cookbook, for instance, contains spreads on how to use common herbs, how to pair an appropriate wine with your meal, identifying different cuts of meat and their uses, and all manner of interesting food concepts. It makes it a particularly enjoyable reference for me, because it teaches me about food in general, not just how to make a certain recipe.

At the moment, I am not an advanced enough cook to do such a thing. Most of the things I cook are still straight out of the books I got them from, and I do not yet feel confident enough to start really designing recipes. I'm still working on figuring out how to alter current recipes to suit my needs and tastes, and while I'm getting better at it, I am hardly an expert in culinary improvisation. Improving my facility with that is still my current cooking goal. But eventually I hope to get to the point where I am designing my own versions of recipes, constructed entirely by my own experimentation and experience. I think it would be really cool to put together a book of those recipes, and add my own little interstitial bits about my thoughts and viewpoints on cooking.

Not right now, but someday maybe. I'd better keep on cooking, then, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...