Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quietly rich


I think it would be cool if one day by some miracle I could be one of those quietly rich people. The sort that you never would guess is rich, because they don't obviously look or seem it. Always dressed nicely but not ostentatiously, never throws cash around, doesn't have any unusual lifestyle habits like a driver or things like that. And yet, still able to accomplish whatever they would like or need at the drop of a hat with no trouble at all. Picking up dinner, paying for parking, being comfortably able to lay out to make things run more smoothly and more pleasantly. With my upbringing, no matter how rich I ever am, I will never be the sort to spend frivolously or ostentatiously-- I see it as the ultimate in bad taste, and irresponsible to boot --but I like the notion that no matter the context, "doing things right," from trips into the city to see special plays to sending my kids to the college of their choice, will never be beyond me. I like the power and the choices that confers. Of course, who doesn't? It has been the root of so many of man's pursuits for well and for ill. I am no great lover of material things, but the security of having the means to handle things, as well as the freedom to do what I want, is as appealing to me as it is to anyone else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...