Friday, June 11, 2010

New Goo Goo Dolls stuff?

Because I can't be bothered to follow any news sources on these things and don't listen to much radio, I had no idea the Goo Goo Dolls, despite being my favorite band, have had a single I've never heard out since last year, and have just released a new single for an album they're planning to put out at the end of August. Huh. I guess the upshot of not staying on top of these things is once in a while I get a nice surprise.

"Real" evidently was made specially for the 2008 Olympics and has never been collected on any album. I like it a lot, and probably will listen to it on loop for a whileas is my wont when I find a new song I like, but I find it a bit... generic for them. Like, exactly to my taste, but it sounds very typically Goo Goo Dolls, similar to lots of other stuff they did. I like that sound a great deal, but it isn't really anything particularly unique or special as far as they go. I'm not disappointed, but I remember how stirred I was by pretty much EVERYTHING on "Let Love In," and I hope that can happen with this new one.

"Home" I can't tell if I like yet. All that exists on YouTube is concert recordings which I kind of hate because the sound quality is low and all messed up by the screaming crowd-- although I was highly amused by the one I listened to including Johnny Rzeznik telling people to go download bootlegs of the song off the internet, and then thanking the "d-bags" who were recording this because it would get him in trouble with his record company for basically encouraging them all to steal their music. Point is, though, that I really couldn't tell from that if I liked the song. The snippet available on iTunes makes me optimistic, but it's so short I'm not sure I can pass judgment yet. I should probably buy it anyway, but I hate spending money on songs I'm not sure about.

Also, Johnny, I love you, but you are not allowed to have any more songs with "turn you inside out" as the second line in the lyrics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...