Friday, March 5, 2010

Various random clothing-related thoughts

I am surprised by just how many articles of clothing I have. The fact that, according to my wardrobe journal, I managed to go about forty days without repeating a seasonally-appropriate outfit boggles me. I never really thought of myself as a clothes horse, but no wonder my drawers are stuffed and the closet bar sags in the middle.

I want to jettison some pieces to lighten the burden on my dresser and hangers. Unfortunately, what this wardrobe recording experiment has taught me is I DO like and I DO wear the vast majority of my clothing. I guess that's a good thing, but I would like to weed things out a bit. I've got a handful of items that could stand to find a new owner to love it and wear it with more pride than I do.

I read about women having parties where they brought clothes that were still in good condition but for some reason they no longer wanted-- never wear it, doesn't fit right, no longer suits their taste or style. Everybody would try on everybody else's stuff and whenever you found something you liked, you got to keep it. Anything not taken at the end of the night gets donated to charity. I kind of like this idea-- you get rid of your unwanted stuff, and maybe getting something new for free. Maybe I should throw one and make a little dinner party out of it.

I am also thinking of acquiring some sort of separate storage solution for articles that are decidedly costume pieces-- as in, I want to keep them because they are useful as costume pieces for larps and plays, but they are not things I wear as part of my normal wardrobe. I have more than a few of these taking up space the regular clothes could use. The yellow dress with the black lace overlay, the oversized black turtleneck, the Asian-inspired shirt, all these things are good to have for dressing a part but I would not wear them as everyday clothing. Maybe a box or something that I can slide under my bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...