Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Second day of Caesar build


Spent most of yesterday helping out some more with Caesar build. Had a nice lunch with Jared after work, then the two of us drove over to the theater, where he sat and did homework until class and I pitched in with the various tasks of establishing the stage. Strike evidently went fairly well but very late, so when I arrived the platforms were positioned onstage but not much else. I participated in the anchoring of the platforms, fronting them, painting them, helping to hang and fireproof the curtains, and various other small tasks that tech week requires. We got a ton of work done, and despite some snags-- and there are always snags --the show is progressing well and is starting to look the way it's supposed to.

Perhaps because I've always primarily been an actor, I always admire the techies for how much knowledge and skill they have in the processes of putting a show together. Brenda, for example, was just amazing organizing the lighting over the last couple of nights, and I was really impressed by her command. But for all that I don't know nearly as much as the real crew people, I have learned a decent amount about technical theater myself in my time with Hold Thy Peace. Not being a current student, I can't use the saws or any of the dangerous tools anymore due to liability, but over the course of the last four years I was taught how to handle a fair number of them. Thinking back over ten shows at Brandeis, I learned how to:

- use a screw gun
- build a platform
- top a platform
- leg a platform
- anchor platforms to the stage and each other
- prepare a platform to be fronted
- front a platform
- tie various knots
- hang stage curtains
- properly move and brace a ladder
- use spackle
- use an electric sander
- use a circular saw
- make a cut block
- use gaff tape
- use spike tape
- use paint rollers
- paint a number of scenic effects
- use the headsets

Wow. I'm impressed with myself for how much I've absorbed just by helping to crew the shows I was in. And many of us can do even more. Others know how to run the fly rails, hang the lights, drop colors, run the light and sound boards. Wanting to be able to be capable in as many theatrical capacities as possible, it makes me wish I knew more. Especially if it can inform my ability to direct plays.

When it comes to my own theatrical productions I tend to take a very auteur approach, wanting to express my vision for the show in as many aspects of it as I can. While directing I have designed sets, costumes, sound, and other things, but the one thing I've never dared attempt on my own was lighting because I just never knew enough about it. It seems very complicated to me as I watch hangs and focuses and board operation. I guess one of the reasons I was so impressed by Brenda was she was getting a job done that has always seemed overwhelmingly difficult and specialized to me. It's probably not beyond me to learn, but I'm not sure it's something I'll ever really get the chance to study. Maybe I should make a point of that.

So things are going well. Focus is tonight, if I remember correctly, and then things should be in pretty decent shape to rehearse, cue the show, and run tech-throughs. I won't be able to get there until later tonight, but I plan to watch the run through this evening and take notes on scenes and their cast composition. I was asked by Lenny and Jenna to run photo call, and that will likely be easiest if I can write up a schedule for it. Hmm. Maybe I should make sure my camera is charged, just in case.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...