Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Third day of Caesar tech



Caesar tech week continues to go well. Last night was mostly devoted to light focus, which is a grindingly slow and tedious process by the time you get to all four electrics. I was a little grumbly over this (though it was absolutely no one's fault and everyone was working very hard) because I wanted the run to start so I could watch it for my photo call planning, and I needed to leave by midnight. Still, things were getting done nicely, and eventually the show got running. Last night I watched the first half of the show for the first time before I had to leave. In order to run an efficient photo call, I took notes on what scenes needing snapping when, with what people, and in what costume.


So many great things going on up there. First off, the acting is phenomenal. Everyone really sinks their teeth into their roles. I've said this before, but Plesser improves in technique, presence, and nuance with every show. I love Charlotte's committment to her roles, the way she assumes the persona of the character. I was so impressed not only by Steph's acting, but how she made me buy the Marc Antony role as a woman. Caitlin had so much fantastic attitude. I adore the subtle force and slyness of April's performance. Zanna brought an unexpected but very effective strength and presence to Calpurnia, and I enjoyed the passion and even slight sternness of Gigi's Portia. And, of course, Frances and Brenda not only were great alone, they played off one another so well. I was very impressed by Frances's finding an alternate way of conveying Brutus's intensity without resorting to restless energy, which made a great contrast to the roiling anger Brenda brought Cassius.


The set looks fantastic, one of the best sets HTP has ever had, in my humble opinion. The marbling effect on the platforms is gorgeous, and the curtains are awesome. They not only serve for an interesting vertical addition to the aesthetic, they effectively divide the stage into useful smaller sections, and they can have color thrown on them from the lights. And when this show's over, they can be folded up and stored for any other show to use, ready to go and free of cost.


The costumes look amazing. They were very skillfully designed and look good on the actors. And they are all in dark, bold colors that contrast beautifully with the light-colored stage behind them. I was impressed by Shana's ability to emulate the look of the period so well.

The one thing that needs a little work is the level of movement onstage. Probably because they were used to rehearsing in spaces significantly more cramped than the actual stage, there's a lot of standing around and speechifying happening. It makes it look a bit flat. But they're aware it's going on, and I'm confident they can figure out how to utilize the beautiful space around them to create a more dynamic look. Most of the elements are so good that if they can just get over this one hurdle, they'll be golden.

I am now going to organized my notes for photo call. I wish I could have gotten the second act in order as well, but I couldn't stay late enough. Ah, well, I can do that during the run tonight. I want things to go as quickly as possible, so I plan to wow everyone with my awesome efficiency. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...