Monday, January 9, 2012

Winter residency so far

At my winter residency period for grad school, and as I hoped, this time is a fair bit better than the last. I have gone in with a determination to take what i can use and let the rest just wash over me. Also my piece that got workshopped got a positive response. I submitted Just So, my humorous ten-minute play, and they laugh at the jokes, got what I what I was trying to do, and made actually usual suggestions and critiques. Pretty much the exact opposite of last time, though I admittedly went in them with a worse piece. So that's a big plus. My primary adviser seemed to get engaged in it, which was cool. He seems like a good guy; I think I'll like working with him. I've yet to meet my independent study adviser, so I suppose I cold be in for another crushing of my dreams, but what are the chances of that particular lightning striking twice?

I am not well-disposed to enjoy this sort of thing, everything else being equal. The format of the thing does not suit me in any way, as I do not work socially very well, nor do I like being expected to pal around with people I hardly know. Some of the teachers noticed and commented on my tendency to be solitary when not in class, in a sweet, well-meaning sort of way but still very irksome to me. I hang out by myself because I prefer to, not because I'm all alienated. Save your pity for someone who isn't naturally an introvert. :-P I know it's not the best thing for networking, but I am just not cut out to schmooze with people I don't care to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...