Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Costume noodling for HMS Eden

I hit the thrift store in Waltham for the first time in a couple of months-- which for me is kind of a long time --in hopes of finding something for my upcoming larp roles. Well, that store is magic if you don't overuse it, and if so will deliver exactly what you want. Though initially I thought I might go in the more "adventuress" direction, I found this lovely dress that I think I can make work for playing for Irene Adler in HMS Eden.


The dress is brown with a black mesh overlay, and it has a kind of corsety look to the bodice which made think it might be made to look Victorian. Here's a weirdly-lit closeup on it, with the little flower motif in the overlay.


And here's an awkwardly-framed picture of the dress's fabulous back, which is laced. I love, love, love laces.


The question now is how to make it more Victorian-looking. The answer is probably that it needs sleeves. So I got out this floppy, gauzy black blouse with the frilly collar and cuffs that was one of the best costuming purchases I ever made, given how often I use it to make my outfits more period. I put it on under the dress unbuttoned but arranged so that the front ruffle made a kind of jabot down the bodice.


I think that helps. Sadly it will probably cover up the lovely laces, but it's probably not Victorian to have a bare back. I tried wearing that bustle that I got at the Brandeis theater department costume sale underneath it, but it looked like a bulgy mess under the slim silhouette of this dress, so I guess it will have to stray straight-skirted. I kind of wish I had a big elaborate black hat, the kind with the wide brim and the gathered satin decoration on top. Wonder if I could get one of those without spending a ton on it. Any suggestions to dress it up further are of course welcome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...