Sunday, January 1, 2012

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #13.2 - The Tailor of Riddling Way, scene 2


This is the second scene of the piece, immediately following this one. There's not much too it, but I like how it begins, with Tom trying to parse out how the dress is made just from what he can glean from an old faded newspaper clipping. In my head the dress looks similar to this one that Keira Knightley wears in Atonement. It's not a totally period choice for the early twenties, but it's close enough and I like it very much. Striking as that gorgeous vivid emerald green is, however, I picture it here in cornflower blue, and instead of a deep v-neck, the bodice comes up higher and is covered with an intricate pattern of beadwork.

SCENE 2

SETTING: Tailor’s shop on Riddling Way

(Sound of sketching on paper.)


TOM: (Heavy sigh.) Let’s try this again… floor-length evening gown in cornflower-blue silk satin. Flowing bias-cut bodice, slight cowl from a square neckline, over intricate bead detail. Appears to be of a lily design. Loose over the bust, fitted through the waist, with a wide waistband and… is that a hip swag? Yes, knotted in the front and left to hang. God, lovely detail. Now how does that attach? Does the band… wrap? Or… is there gathering in the back? Can’t tell. The skirt is straight-cut, I think—interesting! Makes the girl look tall. Probably a circle skirt, then, with a moderate side slit… and is that a rear train? Oh, God knows what’s going on with the drape back there.

(Sound of paper being crumpled up.)

TOM: That does it. I just don’t have enough to go on.

(Rotary phone dials.)

MRS. WARREN: Residence at Loring’s End. Who’s calling, please?

TOM: It’s Tom Barrows the tailor. I’m calling after a gown Miss Emma Loring ordered from me.

MRS. WARREN: Right, sir. What shall I tell Miss Loring?

TOM: I’m having some trouble with her commission and I’d very much like to speak to her about it.

MRS. WARREN: Trouble, sir. I see. I’ll pass on your message to Miss Loring— what’s that, madam? Beg pardon, Mr. Barrows, she’ll speak with you now.

(Receiver is handed off.)

EMMA: This is Emma Loring. Did the bolt I sent over arrive?

TOM: Yes, and it’s as fine as can be.

EMMA: Then what seems to be the trouble?

TOM: It’s like this, ma’am. I’ve been coming at it from every angle, and I just don’t know if I can copy that gown as close as you asked for. There’s too much detail I can’t make out in the newspaper clipping, and I can’t see the back of it at all.

EMMA: I see.

TOM: Please don’t be let down. I’ve got some sense of it, and I think I could make it for you if I just knew a little more of the fine points. Is there any way you could get me a better look?

(Pause.)

TOM: Madam?

EMMA: There’s nothing for it. Do you know where Loring’s End is located?

TOM: I do.

EMMA: Then you’ll have to come by the estate tomorrow morning. I believe there is some way I can help.

TOM: Thanks very much, madam. I’m sure I won’t disappoint.

EMMA: Ten o’clock sharp.

TOM: I won’t be late.

EMMA: I shall expect you then. Thank you for your efforts, Mr. Barrows.

(Click as the phone hangs up.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...