Thursday, January 26, 2012

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #13.9 - Tailor of Riddling Way, scene 2.5


Last night we finished recording the last voice in the scene we began with rigel* and thefarowl* last Saturday. Bernie and I snagged niobien* after the design meeting for Titus. We cleaned up the recording of the other two voices so that Carolyn would have something to respond to, and I'm very pleased with the results. We played the other two voice tracks and let Carolyn speak in the pauses we specifically left to accomodate her lines. Directing for voice recording is a different experience than directing for the stage, and the best ways of doing so are emerging to me slowly through practice. I'm really happy to have cast Carolyn, by the way. She has exactly the right sound for the character of Bethany Loring, and I loved working with her so much in Merely Players that I wanted to give her a speaking role and see how she did. Her enthusiasm and effort really comes through in her performance. The scene obviously hasn't really been edited yet, but technically we have a completely recorded piece. It's our first, the first of many we will need to do. :-)

This is probably the last scene in Episode 2, immediately following the large chunk that I posted yesterday. This scene went in a slightly different direction from how I expected it to. I wanted this part to place the issue of the class conflict overtly on the table. Della, who is a friend of Tom's and from a similar working-class background, forces him to think about how he may have to confront the realities of dealing with people of significantly higher social standing. I also included a hint that Tom's developing feelings for Alice. I was debating whether or not to include that in the story at all-- except maybe a suggestion that was where things were going at the very end, once everything is resolved --but I realized that can be a way of underscoring the class issue, of giving something for the two of them to deal with. Upping the conflict, I have learned from my grad program, is always an important part of designing a compelling story.

I am also looking forward to having inwaterwrit* in the role of Della. She was one of the few that couldn't make the read through, so I haven't had a chance to hear her yet, and I am very excited for when I finally do. I think she will do a great job bringing the sensibility, loyalty, and down-to-earth humanity that I want for the part. I also enjoy writing parts and dialogue with the actor in mind, so I've had her voice in my head as I put this scene together.

SCENE 2.5

SETTING: Tailor’s shop on Riddling Way

(Sound of sewing machine running. The bell rings as the front door opens. Steps coming inside.)


DELLA: Knock, knock. I need to see the tailor quite urgently. I’ve got a button emergency.

TOM: Della! To what do I owe the pleasure?

DELLA: Packed up a little something from the kitchen for you.

TOM: Ah, you shouldn’t have.

DELLA: Nothing fancy. Cold chicken, roast carrots and parsnips.

TOM: Sounds lovely, thank you. You know, you don’t have to keep bringing me dinner. I promise I won’t starve.

DELLA: Don’t kid yourself, Tom, I know how you are when you’re caught up in your work. Besides, you’ll fix my husband’s suits in trade. Nobody sews like you do.

TOM: Well, it’s a fair trade, then. I sure can’t cook like you.

DELLA: Good thing, then. We make one decent housewife between us!

(They laugh.)

TOM: Hand that coat over, then. I’ll spruce it up for you.

DELLA: Thanks, dear. You know I love to feed you, trade or no trade. You can use someone to take care of you.

TOM: However did I win myself so many lady champions? You know, the young niece of Miss Emma Loring stood up for me to the policemen at the estate.

DELLA: Must be your boyish charm. Or might be you seem helpless on your own.

TOM: Might be. Now, Della, I wanted to ask you… what do you know about that fellow that hangs around your pub sometimes? The one that was acting so strange the other day?

DELLA: You mean Kenny the ne’er-do-well? Little enough, I suppose. I spend more time chasing him off than getting acquainted with him.

TOM: Still. Anything at all you know, or you’ve noticed.

DELLA: Well… I know he’s been around for a pretty long while. Takes work once in a while minding rich folks’ horses. Though I wouldn’t think he works much at all. And he’s been in and out of the county jail more than his fair share.

TOM: What’s he done?

DELLA: Got drunk and acted like an ass, I’d guess. That seems to be his way.

TOM: Is he from around here?

DELLA: Think so. Would explain why he always comes back.

TOM: Hmmm.

DELLA: What makes you ask about him?

TOM: I think he’s got something to do with that bad business up at Loring’s End.

DELLA: Because of what he said at the pub the other day?

TOM: Yeah. He seemed awful interested in what I saw up there. And he sure had something against Miss Emma.

DELLA: I see what you mean.

TOM: There’s something odd going on up there, Del. It goes deep, and it started a long time before this. They try not to let on about it, but they’ve had it rough for quite a while.

DELLA: Just goes to show, money can’t buy happiness.

TOM: That’s for sure. And you know, on my way home from the estate the other night, I ran into Kenneth on the road, drunk and muttering about the place. I want to know what he’s up to.

DELLA: You went back to Loring’s End?

TOM: Of course I did. There’s a lot going on around that house that nobody knows, and I’ve promised Miss Alice to help her find out what.

DELLA: You’re helping little Miss Loring.

TOM: Yeah.

DELLA: To go digging around in their family things.

TOM: Yeah.

DELLA: Tom… are you certain about this?

TOM: Certain about what?

DELLA: Well, going so far out of your way for this girl.

TOM: Sure I am. She needs the help, and there’s nobody else who will.

DELLA: That’s real good of you, Tom. It’s just…

TOM: Just what?

DELLA: People like that, big fancy rich people… they don’t like it when you stick your nose into their private affairs.

TOM: I’m not afraid of that. They’ve been hiding all this for far too long. Especially from Miss Alice.

DELLA: Maybe so, Tom. But once you do them what they want, they don’t always take to making friends with regular folks like us.

TOM: Oh, go on.

DELLA: Sure, they’re glad to use you if they need it, but once they’re through they aren’t going to be having you to tea on Sunday.

TOM: Alice isn’t like that.

DELLA: Oh?

TOM: She isn’t. She’s kind, and she needs help.

DELLA: I see… are you getting sweet on her, Tom?

TOM: Della.

DELLA: Well, that’s what it sounds like. Can’t blame me for asking.

TOM: That’s… that’s not the reason.

DELLA: I have to tell you, Tom, that can’t end well. That rich family of hers… they’re not going to stand for it.

TOM: That doesn’t matter. It’s the right thing to do.

DELLA: Tom, I just worry for—

TOM: Della. That’s enough.

DELLA: All right, dear, all right. I hope you know what you’re doing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...