Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Costuming mania for Feast of the Minotaur

As I mentioned, I got my Feast of the Minotaur casting for Intercon, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn I would be playing Princess Ariadne. I want to look good for this role, so I found myself browsing the Internet looking for a suitably Grecian dress, and before long I was feeling obsessed with finding the right one.

Looking for something as literal as "Ancient Greek" dress or costume mostly turned up cheap, cheesy-looking Halloween-type costumes, which I definitely didn't want to go with. But I found when I changed my parameters to "Grecian" or "Greek style" dress, the real-clothing options they turned up often looked much more believably Greek. It gave me a lot of dresses with crinkles or rouching, empire waists, gold trim, and flowy lines to choose from.

My preferences were a little strict going in. I wanted something pretty and sexy but not too short, as I thought a long skirt would look more period, so that cut a lot of club dresses that had other correct details. I also wanted it in a color, preferably a jewel tone, but not black or white. A folded-over waist would have been technically accurate, but it's not the most flattering style for my figure. But eBay, wonder that it is, provided.

I looked at lots of things, including white ones that it occurred to me I might be able to dye, and discounted a lot of nice pieces because they were more than I wanted to spend. I finally narrowed it down to two options, both of which I really loved.

 

After much agonizing, I finally went with the magenta-red one. Its sizing was likely to fit me better, and it was a little bit less expensive. But I love the other one too, and it probably looks a little more Greek. Oh, well. I'm sure what I chose will work fine. Now all I need is a pair of sandals to go with it, and a way to do my hair in a suitably Grecian style. But I highly recommend that anyone who needs an Ancient Greek dress for Feast of the Minotaur or other classical game try looking on eBay, as there were a ton of great possibilities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...