Friday, January 13, 2012

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #13.6 - Tailor of Riddling Way, scene 7


I really like how this scene came out. I wanted to include a flashback to show what the family was like in public before all the trouble started, and I wanted that scene to hint at what might be brewing beneath the surface without being too obvious about it. Also, it enabled me to get a lot of exposition about the way the family was fairly smoothly. It's particularly important to the character of Reginald, to establish what sort of man he is and what effect it had on his children. I think this came out pretty well.

SCENE 7

SETTING: Estate at Loring’s End, 1917

(Sound of mingling people at a party. They are hushed by a fork tapping against a glass.)


REGINALD: If I may speak for a moment… I’d like to thank you all for coming today, and I hope you’ll all join me in wishing my daughter Constance a very happy eighteenth birthday.

CROWD: Here, here!

(Sound of applause.)

REGINALD: I also have an important announcement to make. Rowan has stepped up to protect the country by enlisting in the United States army. Within the next month he’ll be shipping off for Europe to give the Gerries what for!

(More cheering and applause.)

ROWAN: Please, Father. It’s no more than my duty.

REGINALD: What a fine young man you are, my boy.

BETHANY: We’re proud of you, Rowan.

REGINALD: Very proud. It is a fortunate man indeed who is blessed with such fine children as I have. Now, everyone, please enjoy the festivities and we’ll see Rowan off right.

(Applause and tapping of glasses.)

DONNER: This is quite a party you’ve thrown, Mr. Loring.

REGINALD: Ah, Mr. Donner, so glad to see you could come!

DONNER: The pleasure is mine.

REGINALD: It’s high time we began meeting on a social level.

DONNER: Indeed. You have lovely daughters, sir.

REGINALD: Thank you very much, I do indeed. I must introduce you to my family. Of course this is the lady of the hour.

CONSTANCE: Good evening, sir. I’m Constance. Thank you so much for being here.

REGINALD: Constance is a student at university; Barnard, you know, a very fine school for women. Constance, tell us how your studies are going.

CONSTANCE: Well, I’ve begun some very interesting translations of Aristophanes…

REGINALD: Wonderful, that’s wonderful. And you’ve been meeting interesting people, I trust?

CONSTANCE: Yes, Father.

REGINALD: Good, good. Your classmates there are from important families, must be certain you’re meeting the right people. And this is my eldest girl, Emma. I believe you’ve corresponded over business matters?

EMMA: Yes, I recognize your name, sir.

REGINALD: Mr. Donner, this young lady has made herself indispensible to the running of the business.

EMMA: I am glad to finally make your acquaintance. I do try to make myself useful.

REGINALD: She makes my appointments, keeps my books, takes care of every little detail I must remember… she has quite a head for the business.

DONNER: That’s very remarkable.

REGINALD: I don’t know how I’d get anything done without her. Of course, it’s all just until my son takes the burden off my shoulders. Mr. Donner, my oldest boy— Rowan, come meet this gentleman, son.

ROWAN: Forgive me, sir, but I find myself otherwise obligated at the moment! I do hope you enjoy the party.

REGINALD: Ha, ha, you are too popular, my boy. But there are worse troubles to have!

DONNER: And who is this enchanting creature?

REGINALD: Ah, this is my baby, our little miracle… my Bethany. You know, the girl is mad for horses. Mr. Donner, you have an interest in horseflesh, if I recall?

DONNER: Yes, I’m quite an avid rider.

REGINALD: Bethany, darling, how is that bay colt coming along?

BETHANY: He’s doing well, Papa. He goes beautifully with a good rider.

REGINALD: How splendid! Say, Donner, would you care to give him a go?

DONNER: Why, I’d love to.

REGINALD: Then, Bethany, you must take Mr. Donner on a ride. Boy! Boy, come here a moment.

KENNETH: Yes, sir.

REGINALD: Go and saddle Bethany’s pony and the bay colt for the gentleman.

KENNETH: The pony’s come up lame, sir.

REGINALD: Lame? What have you done to the poor creature, Beth? No matter, find her something else. Donner, my friend, perhaps you can teach the girl a thing or two about how to handle a horse.

DONNER: I’m sure she knows her own way.

REGINALD: All my girls do! Ah, I am a lucky man indeed, to have such a family. Now, off to the stables with you two. Best get that ride in before we lose the light!

DONNER: If you’ll just lead the way, Miss Bethany.

REGINALD: Enjoy yourselves! Ah, what a party, what an evening. Constance! Constance, it’s so good to have a reason to get everyone together again. Happy birthday, my dear.

CONSTANCE: Thank you, Papa.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...