Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A small sewing project idea

I haven't done any sewing in a few weeks, but I find myself itching to get back to it. After taking a stab at Gertie's layer cake crinoline, I was somewhat pleased but wanted to give it another try and make a second version. I found I didn't have any of the white silky fabric left in my stash-- I honestly think it was left over from the banners my mother made for my production of Hamlet. Instead I repurposed the horrible sack dress I made that one time, because it was the only thing I had with the right hand and texture for lingerie fabric. It also has a lovely print, a very subtle black floral outline over a deep purple background. So I made the slip part, but didn't get any farther than that because I decided the white vine-embroidered netting I had wouldn't work so well with the black and purple. I will probably need to get some black tulle or something instead.


I also recently picked up a curtain made of a textured cotton with a great plaid-y sort of design, dark red lines crisscrossing over a beige background. I love the pattern and the hand of it, and I think it will make a great above-the-knee skirt. Sort of preppy, sort of classic, very chic. The one question is what kind of closure. At first it occurred to me to put in an invisible zipper, which means I would need to pick up a beige one, but then I thought of maybe doing a sort of wrap style. My plaid pleated skirt is like this, with the front part lapped over itself, and a closure on either end of the fabric. Maybe I could put in two jean-style metal buttons, one at the left end of the lapped part, one at the back. I wonder if that would be secure and attractive-looking. I'll do a little experimenting to see what I like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...