Monday, April 9, 2012

Regency and Renaissance costume patterns

I bought two new costume sewing patterns for just a couple of bucks today. A Regency and a Renaissance dress.


I'm not sure I have a lot of use for a Regency dress, but after seeing Pride and Prejudice they're in my head, and while I was watching the show it occurred to me that they might not be so difficult to make. They have an empire waist and puffed sleeves, which means a lot of the normal fitting challenges wouldn't be necessary. In this pattern I prefer the shaping of the view on the right but the split overskirt of the style on the left. I actually really like that pinky brocade fabric, so I'd probably pick something similar for when I try to sew it up.

The Renaissance gown is really elegant, though probably significantly harder to sew. I'm probably not quite at the point where I could make it to my satisfaction, so I think I'll save it until I improve. But with the sort of plays and larps that occur for me, I'd probably have more use for a dress of this period. I like the fitted waist, which I would not want to mess up, and I'm still not precise enough to not screw up such fitting. I like the bold color contrasting with gold trimming. I would probably pick a deep green or blue, though the red is nice too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...