Saturday, April 14, 2012

A cavalcade of dresses

So I have learned that this Festival my costuming will consist entirely of eveningwear! I am super-pleased about this, finally, finally some of my secondhand gowns will see the light of day. But I might decide which among them will get to take advantage of this rare opportunity. For Jesriah, I'm currently looking at these three options:

 
This is the first-ever thrift store gown I ever bought, encouraged by [info]nennivian* and [info]katiescarlett29* in a move that inspired an addiction that continues to this day. I love this gown; the shape is flattering and deep blue is one of my best colors. I'm also fond of the ripply, asymmetrical hem and the wrap bustline. The glitziness of it would work well for a retro diva look, though I'm not sure the color suggests the '30s era all that well.


Another option is this glitzy black dress. It has a similar silhouette and hem to the blue one above, but this has a halter back and a rouched bodice. The shape is not quite as flattering, however; it's slightly stretched out, and there isn't any support in the bust. Because the fit isn't as good, it makes me look a little blockier. Maybe I should sew some bra cups in it sometime to make it fit a little better.
 
 
This dress actually was not rescued from a thrift store. It is new, but I didn't buy it. This one I found when I was cleaning out the green room after Titus wrapped. It was in a shopping bag that still had the receipt in it, shoved between the sewing table and that ugly yellow couch. I checked with everyone around and nobody recognized it, so I decided to take it home. I feel bad for the person who lost it, but the date on the receipt was from over a month before, so whoever it was, they must have thought it was long gone. Plus there was a red bra in the bag with it. They clearly intended to wear with them together because it was exactly the same color, but with the dress's racer back the bra's straps would have been exposed, so obviously the original owner had no taste. ;-) It's from Kim Kardashian's line and the material is extremely cheap, but the color's nice and it fits me like a glove with cool retro shaping. The only real problem is that the hem is so narrow that you have to take mincing little steps while wearing it. I have long strides for as short as I am, so that takes some getting used to.

And of course there's a chance the green Atonement dress might come in before this Friday, which makes it a viable option as well. Though it's a little more society lady than diva. Does anyone have an opinions or preferences?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...