Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My grownup corner

In case you haven't been in the kitchen at Elsinore recently, let me tell you that lately it's been kept pretty nice. I like the way the furniture looks in it, the light wood of the table contrasting with the dark chairs, which is picked up by the wood board of the baker's rack and the gorgeous butcher block in the corner. As I think I mentioned, I got the butcher block when my brother moved out of his old apartment. His landlord wanted the building completely emptied of its contents, including this little beauty, which apparently did not belong to anyone-- which means I got to take it home. It is a piece of kitchen furniture that I'd coveted for ages and regularly sells for hundreds of dollars, so that was quite a stroke of luck for me. Last Halloween my dad also brought me six bundles of herbs from his garden, which look homey and nice hung all around. When I got my copper pan, I decided the best way to store it was to hang it on the wall on display. To complete the effect, I moved two of my oil flasks, Jane's mortar and pestle, and Charlotte's pretty glass onto the butcher block beneath it. Charlotte then put some flowers in the blue vase to complete the tableau. I have immortalized what I believe to be the prettiest place in the house in this photograph:


Sometimes I stand in this corner and look at the display before me and I can pretend that I live in a grownup house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...