Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Home for Christmas

Home for Christmas now. Got up at 5AM to catch a 7:30 plane, and have settled in with the family to prepare for the holiday. This year Jared should be joining me at my parents' house, which will be lovely experience that we've never had before. I spent the day shopping with my family, buying supplies for Christmas and Christmas Eve dinner. We went to the lovely, enormous indoor farmer's market in town, which has locally-grown vegetables, farm-raised meat, and all manner of artisan breads, cheeses, and desserts. The guy at the counter where we bought veal and brisket told me I was pretty, asked where I went to school, and told me he'd give me two free homemade hamburger patties if I could tell him what a certain word meant. He was Jewish, and since I told him Brandeis I thought he'd ask me something in Yiddish. Instead, he asked the meaning of "ennui," which was so much easier I laughed aloud. Needless to say, I won myself a couple of burgers! It was a very fun conversation.

The house looks even prettier than usual today, all clean for company and decorated for Christmas. I plan to spend the next five days eating, working out, and writing. Won't be as restful as perhaps it could be, given how much work I have to do, but it should at least be a nice holiday with the family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...