Monday, December 20, 2010

Map board for The Stand


When I am home for Christmas, I want my mom to help me make a very important gamepiece for The Stand. Control of the land surrounding the town and the various features of that land matter a lot to the plot of the game, so I wanted a large and well-illustrated visual representation for it. What I want is for my mom, who is an artist, to draw or paint me a large detailed birdseye representation of the land on paper so people can see what it looks like and what visible features it has. I will then grid off the paper to parcel the land out. Things out on the land that have the capability to move around will be represented by miniatures. Each space will also have a little flap cut in it to make a tiny window that will conceal the non-obvious information about the space, which you can only open and examine if you have the proper knowledge or abilities.

Travel across this space is non-negligible. I haven't exactly worked out the mechanics of it, but in order to make travel across the board possible within a reasonable amount of time, you need to have a horse to ride. But all the town's horses died in a recent jag of illness; there's only one horse in human possession at the start of the game. So the only solution is to track down the local mustang herd and wrangle yourself a mount. I have yet to design it, but this process will be a minigame. Anyone is allowed to try to wrangle a mustang, though some people will have a Wrangler ability that will give them a bonus when they make the attempt. If you are successful at the minigame, you get a horse of your very own to keep, complete with a card with the horse's picture and stats on it. There will be a few different things you can do with horses, but the primary one is the ability to travel to areas of land outside of town for examination, claim, or otherwise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...