Friday, April 30, 2010

Household items for the coming year

Elsinore has had a lot happen to fix it up recently. We got our new windows, which are lovely, and I am quite optimistic that they'll do a lot to reduce the heating bill. Won't know for sure until it gets cold again, but I'm the last person on Earth to complain about warm weather. :-) The basement has been cleaned up since the time it flooded over Intercon weekend, and should now be more resistant if that much water ever happens again. And today a mason came to repair the deterioration on the front steps as well as to patch some spots on the chimney. I am pleased by these improvements and hope my soon-to-be-roommates are too.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what household items, specifically furniture and kitchen appliances, that will be departing when some of my current roommates move out. I just got my not-large but still appreciated tax refund, which I divided equally between savings, rent, and checking, and decided to use the amount that went to checking to buy new dinner plates. They are not gorgeous, and cost a bit more than I expected them to, but I got twelve good-sized and perfectly serviceable white china dinner plates from the restaurant supply store on Water Street. I figured that plates were the most essential pieces that would be leaving, and therefore should be the first thing to replace.

We housemates for the coming year should really start talking about this. We should at least begin to figure out who can bring what, and who will buy what of the things that no one already has. I also suddenly recalled the kitchen things my parents meant to give me but I never brought up because they would have been superflous, but now can fill in for departing items. My parents should be coming up to help my brother move out of his dorm next week, so I must remember to ask them to bring them along.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...