Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Muppet fan help?

think there are enough Muppet fans on my friends list that this might be an effective venue to pose a Henson-related question.

So many years ago, when I was but a nipper, I saw a Muppet special on television that I absolutely loved. It was a behind-the-scenes documentary of sorts on all the processes behind the making of Muppet movies and shows. It was hosted by Jim Henson himself; given the timing, it probably would have had to have to been one of the last things he made before he did. The really awesome thing about it was that the Muppet characters were part of it, too-- though they acknowledged their existence as constructed things, they were still people participating in the presentation. A scene following the mention of having to periodically replace worn-out Muppet parts where Bunsen points out to Gonzo the cracks in the foam around his mouth to Gonzo's extreme discomfort particularly sticks out in my mind.

I loved it so much, and I've only seen it the one time all those years ago. I desperately want to see it again.

Now I have periodically tried to identify this fantastic special over the years and met with little success. I am beginning to wonder if I hallucinated it, as with my luck nothing of that level of sheer unadulterated awesome could actually exist in this life. But on the off-chance that the universe will throw me a bone, I was wondering if any of you were familiar with it and could, at the very least, tell me the NAME of the thing, if not point me to some obliging collection of videoes on Youtube with which I could view it again.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Or am I raving here? Help!

1 comments:

John said...

(cross-posted from Google Buzz)

The special you're thinking of is called "The Secrets of the Muppets." It was part of The Jim Henson Hour, though I think it never ran when that show was on the air. Nickelodeon picked up the rights to air it years later, and that's when most of us saw it.

Thankfully, my parents had the foresight to tape it, and I've watched it enough times to internalize most of the best parts. I also converted the tape to a DVD last year, and have it with me in my collection. I should make a copy for you (please remind me if I forget to.)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...