Thursday, January 29, 2009

Larp progress

I am attempting to take advantage of my current pleasantly low stress level to do larp work. We're far enough along on Paranoia that we're into writing character sheets now. We're all assigned to write one team each, and I've made a decent chunk of progress on two of my six characters. I'm ambitiously aiming to have at least rough drafts done for all of them by the end of this week. They're not enormous or particularly difficult, so it seem fairly achievable, though I will say they aren't coming quite as easily as I thought they would. We just have to come up with a decent name for it besides just "Paranoia." Attempts thus far have not been impressive. Oz progress is slow, but at least I've got the mental presence to devote some focus to it. I finally wrote up my bid for that game, that's a step in the right direction. The trouble was I'm still in the process of hammering out the story, so I'm not exactly sure how to describe it in the blurb. Ah, well. I guess if I work out a better one I can always change it later.

It occurs to me that I'm going to be running three games at Festival this year-- Alice, Oz, and Paranoia. I'm delighted to rerun Alice, as I will with Jared's help. It's a large game, but it's both so rules-light and we both know it so well that it doesn't really need more than just the two of us. As for Oz, it's a small game, so Bernie is the only other person I'll need to help me run that. He's great to help GM because he's capable, and he doesn't larp so having him doesn't reduce the player pool. Though the pressure is on, I will be really glad to finally be writing another larp of my own. I've been coasting on the success of Alice for way too long. ;-) I'm also helping write Paranoia. In fact, Paranoia has both a huge writing team and a huge GMing team, consisting of Bernie, Joe, Mac, Matt, and myself. Hopefully we'll all be there to run it. I'm pleased with and excited for this, but I'm wondering if I'll not get enough playing time with three of my slots already taken. I don't mind not getting to play per se, but I am concerned I might miss games that I particularly want to be in. I know a couple of the games I'm interested in that will be running at Festival I have or will have already played, such as GM Space or League of Extraordinary Hogwarts students, so perhaps I won't feel shorted. GM Space will undoubtedly run Sunday morning anyway, so that time slot won't conflict. Speaking of time slots, I'm hoping that Alice runs in the evening-- probably Friday. Bernie wants Paranoia to run in the evening on Saturday, to give his brother Joe the best chance to come to Waltham from Maryland to help run the game. I don't really have a preference for when Oz runs, except that it not conflict with, say, Jared's game so that he can play in it.

I have a good feeling about all of this. Here's hoping it pans out. I guess I'd better get back to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...