Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween menu planning


 Did you know that grocery stores don't carry spiral-cut hams as a matter of course? I mean, I knew they were special occasion foods, but I figured people bought them for parties any old time. I'm disappointed, I wanted to have one for Halloween this year, but I was told that they are usually only available on pre-order for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Bah, I love ham, and it would have saved me a lot of work. I could get one at a specialty store like Honey-Baked Ham, but I'm not sure the convenience would outweigh the expense. The alternative is to roast a pork loin, which wouldn't be as expensive, but probably a lot more work. I do have a good one with apples and mirepoix, so that's an option.

Everything else will be vegetarian and kosher-dairy. Other items on my list at the moment are cornbread, gingerbread, and pear and parsnip puree. Wow, this is going to be one starchy spread. But I guess fall foods tend that way. I also want to do something with squash. I'm considering my favorite butternut squash soup, to give a substantial alternative to the pork, though soup may a bit awkward to serve. Ah, well, I may just do it anyway. The puree is a show-offy dish and always a favorite, though it is a wee bit labor intensive to make. I'd also like to do something with cranberries, besides the juice I'd like to serve out of Skully's head. (We're actually calling him Yorick now, on Charlotte's suggestion, which you may scoff at as uncreative, but we live at Elsinore, so there.) And besides cranberry juice, there will be apple cider and probably some Coke as well. Must remember to make sure I have enough paper flatware. This is going to require a lot of work, but fortunately there are several lovely people I plan on drafting into service as kitchen slaves. There will probably be lots of other random edibles, like Halloween candy and perhaps some snacky things like chips and pretzels, but those will be the real foods I'm planning on making.

Must look into that ham...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...