Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Current state of my costume life

Finally found a skirt for my Al-Ashtara outfit-- sort of, at least. I have been hitting the thriftstore about once a week keeping an eye out for full skirts that might go well with my dark blue belled sashes, with little success until now. Yesterday with katiescarlett29* I found the most fantastic billowy garment in a lovely shade of blue with fanciful lighter blue designs on it that feel suitably Arabic to me. This magical garment is not exactly a muumuu, but it is close. I now have two options. The easier of the two is to just yank the dress down so that the extremely wide neckline hangs arounds my hips and then gather and tie up the rest of the dress interestingly such that it looks like a flounced skirt. The more labor-intensive but probably more sensible option is to cut the skirt off from the bodice and sew in some elastic to create a real waist. It has been some time since I've done any real sewing, and I don't have access to a sewing machine right now, so it might be challenging. Still, though I have never done it before, hand-sewing an elastic band into the waist of a costume skirt can't be too far beyond my admittedly atrophied skills. It might be nice to have a project for myself that involves working with my hands and improving/gaining a skill. I will have to play around with it to see which option will best serve my needs, and consult the all-knowing Internet for advice.

Also, laurion* recently asked me if I wanted to do run crew-type stuff during the Boston Babydolls Wrathskeller performance. I have happily agreed. It should be fun, and as he pointed out, meeting them might help me get my foot in the door if I do ever go ahead and audition. I think I will end up being the person that gathers up the shed clothes between each act, referred to by Chad as the "stage kitten." And since crew for the Babydolls do not wear stage blacks, that means I need an appropriate costume. Since the setting of the Wrathskeller is a seedy tavern-type place, I figure saucy tavern wench would be very appropriate. I think my black bodice would work, and perhaps a skirt over my black crinoline, but I believe I need one of those blousy white off-the-shoulder chemise-type things. I don't suppose anyone has one I could borrow for the week leading up to Halloween? An apron would probably also be a nice touch, as well as possibly a scarf over my hair. Shall have to start experimenting with different pieces together.

Finally, I am thinking about my costume for Winter's Tale. Of course I will not be constructing it myself, as there is a costumer for the show, but by this point I've gotten eager to get it. It always help me feel more in character to have a costume. Steph has told me that we Sicilians will be dressed in cool wintry colors while the Bohemias will wear warm springy colors, which I like. So I'll be wearing some cool scheme, until my last scene, after which I've been mauled by a bear and am appearing as a figment of my wife's imagination. Then I will be wearing all black to indicate my deaditude. :-) Works for me. My contribution to the ensemble will be my neato costume boots. They're actually women's fashion shoes, but my mom bought them for me one day on the belief that they looked a lot more like men's Renaissance boots, something I could use with all the larping and Shakespeare I do. They've come in handy many times now.

So I have so many fun outfits to look forward to, and to get to work on. Suggestions welcome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...