Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Home for Thanksgiving

Got home to Pennsylvania today to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Rode six hours in the car with my brother and his girlfriend, then arrived home in the afternoon. Casey drove Sarah to her place while I helped my parents get dinner ready.

My dad has recently decided he'd like to try homebrewing, so he and I took a ride to the local restaurant supply store to pick up some equipment. I've always wanted to go to one of those, and it certainly did not disappoint. Alton Brown recommends them for cooking supplies because you can get professional-quality items at price far beneath what you'd find at retail. Pretty much any kind of cooking implement or serving vessel you could need can be found there, and I was delighted to look at all the neat, reduced-price kitchen things. My dad got, among other things, the twenty-quart stainless steel pot he needed for beer-making for fifty dollars-- an item you normally see at between three and four hundred. Score! I also got a giant stainless mixing bowl to take back to Massachusetts with me. I really want to go back when I have more time to browse, and a better idea of what my kitchen needs. I wonder if there's one in Waltham that I'd love to make a pilgrimage to with anyone who'd like to come. I think I'll do a little searching.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...