Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Practicing buttonholes

I used altering the shower curtain as an opportunity to practice my buttonholes. What I had to do to make it fit my shower is cut off one of the top corners at just the precise angle, but that got rid of the little hemmed holes intended for the rings along that edge. Since they were basically just buttonholes, I figured I could put in new ones if I made them like buttonholes. My machine has an automatic buttonhole foot that is supposed to just make them for you. I must have made a million test holes and screwed with the machine settings about eight different ways late into the night, but by about 3AM I made just about as pretty a buttonhole as you ever did see. See how nicely it came out on the curtain?


The next challenge was cutting them open. As you can see, the stitches are pretty close together and I was afraid of tearing them. What I ended up doing was very carefully pressing my rotary cutter down between the two edges and not trying to extend the cut much farther than that. It worked nicely, and I only damaged the edge of one buttonhole. Not too shabby, eh?


The curtain is a little too wide for the shower, and the bottom drags on the floor. Some trimming and hemming will be in order. And I must get nicer hooks to hang it with. But it fits nicely into the oddly-shaped space, so I'm pleased with my carefulness and the quality of my work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...