Sunday, August 7, 2011

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #3 (Or, why I should be thanking God I saw the Cap movie...)


I wrote this little scene as a school assignment to write down a conversation that happened in real life and then dramatize it into a theatrical piece. Being utterly stuck as I usually am when I don't have an idea going in, I decided to base it off a conversation Bernie and I had about the appeal of Batman versus the appeal of Captain America. It's silly and kind of pathetically short, but I like how far I managed to extrapolate my source material. Funnily enough, though, the other creative piece I'm turning in for this assignment was also slightly Captain America-inspired. I now roll my eyes at myself so hard I have to chase after them down the street. I don't know whether to hope my advisor is a comics fan so she doesn't judge me if she gets it or pray that she's never ever heard of any of this, so she doesn't pick up on it at all. I guess I should thank God I saw that fucking movie, or I wouldn't have had any goddamn thing to write about.

(A man in a suit, BRODY, walks into his superior MARKOFF’s office. MARKOFF is sitting at work at a desk.)

BRODY: Have you made your selection?

MARKOFF: I believe I have, Mr. Brody. I’ve settled on Agent Rowan as the right man for the job.

BRODY: Agent Rowan? Excuse me, sir?

MARKOFF: You disagree with my assessment?

BRODY: Well, sir, it’s only that, well… he’s never been tested in the field for an operation of this kind, and he’s hardly the best we have with the equipment. I expected you to choose someone we knew could handle the pressure.

MARKOFF: It seems to me that your only objection is that he isn’t Agent Black.

BRODY: Don’t get me wrong, Commander, I have nothing but respect for Rowan. He’s a good man, certainly. But Black is qualified in every way, with a great deal more experienced in this class of mission. And, if I may speak freely, I frankly think the man’s made of sterner stuff.

MARKOFF: And you think that’s what’s what we need here.

BRODY: It’s just such an important job. We have to be careful who we trust it to.

MARKOFF: Well, you’re right, Brody. It’s a delicate mission. Human life and security hang in the balance. If we fail… the cost will be enormous. It would be all too easy for an agent of a certain sort to start justifying any means necessary to see that we prevail. It’s just as you said. Black’s a good agent, but Rowan— Rowan is a good man. In a bind like that, I would sooner put my trust in the one I know is a good man.

(Pause.)

BRODY: So that’s your decision?

MARKOFF: That’s my decision.

BRODY: If you say so, sir. I truly hope you’re right.

(BRODY turns and exits the office.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...