Friday, July 29, 2011

Two Noble Kinsmen with the family

 
Going home to visit the parents today. Dad is going to pick me up after I get off of work and we'll drive down to Allentown together. I'm actually pretty happy to be going; we're going to be seeing the new Harry Potter movie, and Mom got us tickets to the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival's production of The Two Noble Kinsmen. I have not read this one, but I know Shakespeare collaborated with another writer on it, and it's based off of one of Chaucer's stories from the Canterbury Tales, the Knight's Tale, a piece I know very well. Sharp-eyed readers may recognize that as the source of Palamon's name. What's interesting is that for whatever reason this play is very rarely performed, so it will be interesting to have the rare chance to see it. Heh, it's probably not performed often because it's not very good, but hey, at least I can say I've seen it!

As an experiment, it's also being performed according to the methods that it would have been in Shakespeare's own day, which I find kind of shocking. That means "Actors arrive with their lines learned, rehearse on their own, wear what they can find, and open in a matter of days." There are no directors and no designers. I wonder how that's going to work, since it sounds like how kids sometimes get together and declare "Let's put on a show!" With my sensibilities I would probably fear a hot mess, although I must say something about that process makes me think [info]crearespero* would appreciate it. ;-)

Mom is also going to be teaching me to use the sewing machine this weekend, which I have been eagerly anticipating. I have packed some of my fabric for half-started projects to have something to work on. Then when I come back I will be bringing the machine with me, and at last I can get going on all the things I've wanted to make! So this should be a nice visit. I wish I didn't have to rush back to get to work on Monday, but got to fit these things in where you can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...