Monday, July 4, 2011

Residency concluded


I have been away from the blog for quite a few days now, thanks to the intensive ten days I spent in classes for graduate school. Intense was really the word for it, given how long the days were, packed with two-hour-long class after two-hour-long class back-to-back from early in the morning till dinnertime. Excited as I am to get going, this week was often very emotionally draining. Though overall a beneficial experience, improving as the week went on, It was extremely frustrating at times-- things I wanted to do and were important to me creatively were often dismissed by instructors and classmates alike, and unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to do some reevaluating of my plan of what work I'm going to generate this semester. Sigh. That's kind of discouraging. But looks like I don't have any choice, so I'll just have to make the best of it. I don't want to waste the time I'm going to be spending in this program, so I'm trying to focus on the positive, something I'm admittedly not very good at doing, and just resolve myself to generate good work of another kind anyway.

Now I have a small mountain of homework to get done between now and the first week of August. I had a wedding to attend directly after the residency period, so I took the Fourth of July off from responsibility to just have a day to relax and do what I wanted. Now I am back at work (they graciously gave me all of last week off) and will have to start incorporating homework into my routine. Today I want to make a study plan with benchmarks for what I will accomplish when. I have a lot of reading to do, mostly short plays, and then I will have to write intelligent responses to it in addition to creating the first draft of a ten minute play. Then there's my independent study into iambic pentameter. This'll take some real focus, but hopefully the plan will help. That will be the first thing I do when I get off of work today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...