Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cream halter dress

During a rare break I had between classes during residency week, I wandered around the area near to Porter Square and discovered a really neat little vintage shop called Raspberry Beret. I can never resist a thrift store, so I had to go in and look around. I discovered in my rummaging a lovely cream-colored dress with gold brocade-like detailing that had the good fortune to come in my size. So, for about thirteen dollars, I got to take this pretty thing home. Here is a picture of it on me.


I really like this dress. I love the details, like the shape of the bust, the way it joins in the center almost like a bow, the band at the waist, and the halter styling, with big long ties that join behind the neck. Here is a closeup of the bodice.


I also think I like it because it reminds me of the white dress I wore as Cordelia. It too was made of a sort of brocaded fabric, though all in white, with a close-fitting bodice and a skirt that came out in fullness at the waist, and the same sort of halter back. It was a costume from the Brandeis theater department found by Marissa, a complete mess of safety pins and lousy snaps, but its design was lovely and I loved wearing it. There aren't many pictures of me in it, and the few that exist have it covered by a black shawl to hide its imperfections, but maybe this will give you an idea of the similarity.


I like it so much that I was seriously tempted to wear it to the wedding I went to on Sunday, but did not because wearing white/ivory/cream would be a huge gaucherie unless the bride specifically says it's okay. Still, I found myself wondering what she would be wearing despite my better instincts. And of course she showed up in a a very sharp suit with a brown tie and a green shirt (matching that of the groom, I might add.) I should have known. Still, it would not have been classy to wear it. So yesterday, [info]morethings5* was kind enough to ask me to sit for him to sketch me, giving me a chance both to have my vanity flattered (I love being his model!) and to wear my new pretty thing that probably won't get to come out and play all that often. Thanks, Jonathan! A pleasure as always, and your company was of course lovely.

The only thing I'm not sure I like about it is the little fluffy trim made of some kind of netting attached along the bottom of the skirt. It may compromise the elegance of the rest of the dress for me, so I'm considering removing it. Still, Jared likes it, and doing that means I might ruin the really nice blind hem it's got going. Not sure I could put it back in so neatly and cleanly. Maybe I'll leave it, I haven't decided yet. But overall I really love the dress, and hope there's some event or play or larp I get to wear it for in the near future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...