Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ten-minute plays


One thing that my grad program is emphasizing is the writing of ten-minute plays. The idea is that a ten-minute play is a strong scene that makes you really focus on the elements of good drama-- a clear arc, strong characters, a definite problem and conflict, high stakes, that sort of thing. I will be expected to write several as part of my school assignment.

I haven't really written that many pieces of theater; my writing has mostly be focused in other media, so I definitely need more practice. And the only way to get practice is to write. I've heard of people who force themselves to write x thing every y period of time as a way to keep themselves writing; maybe what they generate is shit, but at least they're writing. And maybe amid all of it there might be something worth developing, something that has the potential to be made into something good. So maybe I will write a ten minute play a week, or maybe a ten minute play every two weeks, just to see what I come up with. I could post them here as a form of accountability, and you all could tell me what you thought of them-- if they are suitability dramatic, if they define themselves quickly, if there is any potential for more. I don't know, something like that. Might be worth it to get myself writing theater.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...