Sunday, November 6, 2011

Quick ham bone soup update



Just wanted to report that my ham bone soup has turned out delicious. Turns out chilling it overnight was exactly the right move. I took it out of the fridge to see that the fat layer had solidified right on top just as I hoped. I scraped it off this morning, though it didn't come off neatly enough to save, and discovered that beneath it the soup had gelatinized into a nice thickness. It was the consistency I was going for from the start, with no need to puree it at all. I ate a mug of it just now, and it was great, smoky, substantial, with a great chewy texture. So I'm going to consider this experiment a success. I'll have to be sure I do this every time I have a ham.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...