Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pixie dress

So hanging in the window of the thrift store all this past month was this dress:


I liked it the minute I laid eyes on it, and put my name down so that when they changed the display they would put it aside for me. I love all the details on it, the gathered tulle bodice, the pearlescent beading, the lace at the waist, the crisp pleats and sharp points of the skirt. When I was first going to try it on I thought it must be too small-- since my weight gain I feel like a house --but I was pleased to find it a very nice fit. It has shirring in the back, which probably helps. So home it came with me. Here is a closer shot of the details.


I'm not sure why I wanted this dress. The peachy-pink color isn't really a flattering one for me, and it's so ornate that I don't know where I'll ever wear it. But I think it looks like a dress for a pixie, or maybe a china doll or a young girl from an earlier century. If I'm lucky I can wear it as a costume sometime, in a larp or a play. Or maybe I'll throw another party just to give an excuse to debut it. The lovely thing about thrift store dresses is that they're a cheap way to get the thrill of pretty fancy things and it doesn't matter if you don't wear them very much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...