Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pondering my next direction


Now that the semester has ended and Merely Players has wrapped, for the first time in ages I find myself without a large project before me. It isn't as if I have nothing to do. I have plenty of chores that fell by the wayside in the last week-- I need to upgrade to the new iPhone, figure out why there's an immunization hold on my class registration, and take my car in for service --but no large endeavors currently on the docket. So now I find myself pondering my next direction.

I should probably just enjoy not having a deadline or heavy intellectual responsibility for a while. That state never lasts long, and it might be a nice recharge period for my tired brain. I've always found mental work enormously more demanding than physical work, which probably explains why I tend to keep up with day-to-day responsibilities so well and have to focus so hard on my real work endeavors. But I feel bored and useless if I go too long without a project, so after a short rest period, I should probably buckle down on something new. The only question is, what shall that new project be?

I am considering working on Imperium, my new idea for a larp. It would be nice to shift away from theater writing for a little while, which has been my primary preoccupation. I did a count recently and I have brought my number of completed works up to four one-acts and four ten-minute plays. Of course, I have been thinking a lot about the theatrical pieces that I wasn't able to submit for any class assignment, specifically Mrs. Hawking and The Tragedy of Sundan. I like these ideas very much and believe I can create something truly great from them if I put my mind to it. Maybe now's the time to devote to one, or both, of those.

Of course, maybe I need to switch gears entirely. I haven't worked on my sewing in weeks now. Getting good at something like that requires practice, and the biggest obstacle to that has been not having any time. If my evenings are mostly free again, I could really dig into that. I went with Plesser and Caitlin to help him pick out a Real Grownup Suit this past weekend, and watching the tailor mark out the adjustments he would make for fitting renewed the spark of my enthusiasm for it. It would please me to make some progress learning there.

I also want to get back into a regular workout schedule. I have been pretty careful with the calorie counter recently, and I actually like how mindful it's made me of my food choices. I feel healthier and like I'm dropping a little weight already. But that's not really enough, I should be trying to be more active too. Having work in the mornings, homework in the afternoons, and rehearsal in the evenings was really not a schedule conducive to getting to the gym. But with less occupied time, I want to get back to a good routine that includes practicing ballet. Another thing I want to work and get good at.

So, Imperium, Sundan, Mrs. Hawking, sewing, or something else? What do you guys think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...