Saturday, November 5, 2011

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #10.3 - Dave at Helen's checkup flashback in The Waiting Room


Another flashback scene from The Waiting Room. In this one, Helen's best friend Dave has accompanied her to a prenatal checkup. Like all the flashback scenes, this is intended to clarify the issues with Dave's relationship to Helen's pregnancy. My teacher wanted me to learn subtext, and I think I did a pretty good job of utilizing it here. I actually think it's pretty obvious, so see what you can pick up!

(Jump back to the past. Lights down on the waiting room as DAVE goes to the exam room. HELEN sits on the counter in a gown with a small but visible pregnancy bump. DR. TEAL enters with a chart.)

DR. TEAL: Helen Gaffen?

HELEN: Yes.

DR. TEAL: Hello, I’m Dr. Teal. I’ll be doing your exam today. How do you do?

(She shakes HELEN’s hand, then turns to DAVE.)

DR. TEAL: And who might you be?

DAVE: Me? I’m Dave Holland.

DR. TEAL: Pleased to meet you. What brings you in with Helen?

(DR. TEAL begins HELEN’s exam.)

DAVE: Well, she didn’t want to come in alone. Somebody should be along. You know, for moral support.

(HELEN looks at DAVE awkwardly. Suddenly he understands.)

DAVE: Oh, it’s not mine.

DR. TEAL: All right.

DAVE: I’m just her friend.

HELEN: The father and I are out of contact. He’s… not going to be involved.

DR. TEAL: I understand. Well, Helen, everything looks fine so far, but we’ll draw some blood for testing, and get you an ultrasound. I’ll just go and get the machine ready. I’ll be right back.

(Exit DR. TEAL. As soon as he’s gone, HELEN collapses a little and covers her face with her hands.)

HELEN: God, what he must be thinking.

DAVE: I’m sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut.

HELEN: No, it’s not you, it’s me.

DAVE: What do you mean?

HELEN: Everyone’s judging me all the time now.

DAVE: Oh, he’s a doctor, I’m sure he doesn’t do that.

HELEN: Well, that makes one of them. I know what everyone else is thinking when they look at me— unwed mother, abandoned by the father, threw away her whole life.

DAVE: I’m so sorry, Helen. I hope that’s not true.

HELEN: Thank you. And thank you for coming down here with me.

DAVE: Glad to do it.

HELEN: If you hadn’t, I don’t know who would have. I couldn’t have asked anyone in my family. They’re so disgusted with me. After getting with Ben, even after everybody told me not to… they all just think I’m a fool.

DAVE: I don’t think that.

HELEN: Really? I know you certainly didn’t approve of him.

DAVE: Well, no, but that never changed what I think of you.

HELEN: That really means a lot. It’s changed what I think of me.

DAVE: Oh, Helen.

HELEN: It has. I can’t believe how stupid I was. Thinking I was special because he was a jerk to everyone but me… of course sooner or later he’d be a jerk to me too. And now I’m abandoned with a baby. Guess I got what was coming to me.

DAVE: You don’t really think that, do you?

HELEN: Think what?

DAVE: That you’re… being punished with this?

HELEN: I don’t even know, Dave.

DAVE: God, no. Helen, you just made a mistake. You didn’t do anything wrong.

HELEN: I’ve still got to pay for it. I mean— I know I shouldn’t say that. A baby’s not a punishment. It’s just… now I have to take care of one all by myself.

DAVE: No, I get it. I mean, now you're stuck with Ben's--

HELEN: Dave, don't talk like that! It's still my baby!

DAVE: I'm sorry. It's just... I know it's yours, but I... it's weird that it's Ben's too.

HELEN: Well, it's weirder for me! But that can't matter anymore. I'm going to be somebody's mother, Dave. Somebody's going to cry when they're hungry, or scared, or hurt, and they're going to be crying for me. I don’t know if I’m up that.

DAVE: You won’t be alone. The people who love you will help.

HELEN: Maybe. But it’s my responsibility. Nobody’s but mine. If I screw this up… my baby suffers for it.

DAVE: You won’t screw it up. You’re good at everything, Helen. I’ve never seen you screw up.

HELEN: Except with this. And my mom thinks I’ve screwed up my whole life. Can’t finish school right now… and I’m probably going to have to get used to being alone. Who’s going to want a screw-up with a kid?

DAVE: Please, Helen, stop. This might have thrown off your plans for the moment, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get back on track later. Things could still work out. Someone as smart and determined as you will find the way.

(HELEN shrugs, unconvinced.)

DAVE: And someone like that will never end up alone. The right person won’t care about any of this.

HELEN: I hope so. It ran Ben off pretty quick.

DAVE: That wasn’t your fault! He’s an asshole. You deserve way better than that. You deserve… somebody better.

(Pause.)

DAVE: Helen… I want you to know I’ll always be here for you. For anything you might need.

(Reenter DR. TEAL. DAVE takes a step back in embarrassment.)

DR. TEAL: All right, Helen, we’ll take you into ultrasound now.

(HELEN slides down off the counter. DAVE starts to follow her out, but DR. TEAL stops him.)

DR. TEAL: Sorry, sir, it’s family only back there.

DAVE: Oh. Of course. I guess I’ll wait for you in here.

HELEN: Thanks, Dave.

(She briefly hugs him.)

HELEN: I really don’t know what I’d do without you.

(HELEN walks out after Dr. TEAL. DAVE stands alone a moment, looking sadly after her.)

DAVE: Yeah.

(The lights go back up on the waiting room and down on the exam room. DAVE returns to the chairs.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...