Thursday, September 8, 2011

First steps for Merely Players


Merely Players auditions happened last night. They went well, and I liked and would be happy to use every single person I saw, though out of eleven I only have room to cast nine. Alas, I am spoiled for choice. Poor me. ;-) I could probably nail down a list right now, though, except that Dave has requested that I wait until he can finalize the Margaret list next Wednesday. He's afraid of losing people he wants to other shows when common casting rolls around, and any shifts he has to make because of that might affect my list. I certainly can understand, I lost three actors that way back when I did Hamlet, and though it worked out, for a while it was quite painful to fill the gaps. Still, I kind of wish we could jump in and get started. Seeing people come out for my show last night has got me really raring to go.

After this crazy week ends, I need to get serious about finishing the blocking. I have a lot of ideas, and some things nailed down concretely, but I like to go into rehearsals with at least a solid idea of what we'll be doing. It always changes once it gets worked, of course, but it helps cut down on wasted time. Though one thing that's kind of exciting is that this is very much a living script, I expect it to evolve and change as we rehearse it, and I welcome suggestions and ideas from the actors. If anyone has a thought on how to make it flow better, or to make the piece funnier, I want to hear it to make it the most entertaining piece it can be. I've never really worked like that before, nor do I think any of these others have, but that's the way writers often develop their new plays. It will be an exciting new challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...