Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Current work

Been working on my next blank verse assignment for school. For once I got lucky and was actually struck with an idea for something without having to drag some subject up out of nothing, which usually results in a better final product. The trouble is, this is for the professor who has specifically barred me from writing in Shakespearean diction, and the subject matter is very classically theatrical and would be particularly suited to that language style. I wanted to write about a man who has finally resolved on the day he is about to receive a commendation from his liege to at long last tell a woman he's in love with her, only to see her accept a marriage proposal from his lieutenant. He then swears to ruin this man in the eyes of everyone around them such that even his lady will turn away. Then I could write a tale of dramatic scheming and desperation to end in a terrible tragedy, probably where all parties involved end up taking their own lives. Very Shakespearean, no? *sigh* I suppose what I can do is try and write it according to my teacher's specifications, and later adapt it to the language I'd really like for my own purposes. Seems a little bit like a waste of time, at least on the journey to a final product, but I need to write something for this assignment. At the very least it will help me sharpen my blank verse.

I also need to write another new ten-minute play for my next primary assignment. Wonder of wonders, I actually kind of have an idea for that too. There's a really great episode of Frasier, one of my all-time favorite TV shows, that is one of two shot in "real time," as in one long continuous scene in one location rather than a serious of cuts. I find it to be hilariously funny and because of the nature of it always believed it would make a great play. I would really like to write my next ten minute play in the style of this Frasier episode and capture the sort of comedy it utilizes. The only concern I have is that it might be tough to basically not just rip off the episode, to find a way to capture the style while making a distinct piece. Originality can be so tough! Ah, well. I think I'll give it a try, just to see if I can pull it off without making it too similar to its inspiration. Posts, as usual, to follow!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...