Monday, May 16, 2011

Chihuly and Bricco with the family

My parents are in town this weekend for my brother's graduation from Emerson. Thus far it's been a lovely visit, including dining in some great restaurants and a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the Chihuly exhibit. I had only heard of Dale Chihuly because an actual piece of his was in Frasier's apartment on Frasier, but in case you don't know him, he is a famous glass blower ("gaffer" is apparently the technical term) who makes vessels, sculptures, and hanging "chandeliers" out of glass. I remember thinking that Frasier's piece was kind of ugly, but I really enjoyed this MFA exhibit. He does many vessels, like gorgeous colorful bowls in many different textures and ones meant to look like Native American woven baskets, but he also has huge installations of curving horns, tall spears, bubbles, and tendrils, that he says were inspired by flowers but strike me more as like plants and creatures under the sea. Some, with their tentaculous outstretching branches, even struck me as distinctly Cthulhoid! Funny how often I see Lovecraft in everyday things... Anyway, one thing I thought was particularly interesting is that now, after a car accident and his advanced age, he doesn't actually physically make the pieces anymore, but stands with his assistants as they make them, giving direction and looking at the pieces from all perspectives, the way a director works with an actor. If you like unusual art displays, I recommend going to see this exhibit at the MFA.



We also went to dinner at Bricco, a fabulous Italian place in the North End that is considered to be one of the top ten restaurants in the United States. Certainly it is the best restaurant I have ever been to. Whether you want something traditional Italian or something more modern haute cuisine, you will find something remarkable to order off the menu. Though I am not a pasta eater, I will make an exception for this place, as it is all handmade and delicious. It's very expensive, so I only end up going the on special occasions with my parents, but it makes for a wonderful meal every time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...