Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Antsy for the move

More and more my thoughts turn to my move at the end of May. I was always looking forward to it, but now I'm getting downright ansty for it. I think it's more wanting to get everything squared away more than actually feeling pressed to get out of my current situation and into the new one. God knows I like things taken care of, so I've already begun preparing for it and making my plan. I've been collecting boxes for the last several weeks, mostly those from office supplies delivered to my work; my bedroom is becoming quite cluttered with them. Unable to hold off any longer, this past week I started actually packing. My goal is to have everything already packed up and ready to be moved onto the truck by the time all my helpers come on the 31st, so things go as quickly and efficently as possible. Though I do want to get that stuff done ahead of time so I'm not scrambling at the last minute, the problem is that everything I pack now is something I can't use for the next several weeks until the move. So limiting my ability to do advance packing is the fact that I don't want to have to do without a large chunk of my stuff for that time. My clothes and my cookware, for example, are two significant chunks of my possessions, but I know the minute I start sealing that stuff away in boxes I will be vexed with pressing need for it. So I've confined myself to getting my bookshelf squared away, and the contents of my drawers that I like to have on hand but don't necessarily use every day. I wish the weather would at least straighten itself out, so I might be able to decide I don't need one sort of clothes or the other. I've also already begun tranferring my utilities account away from Elsinore and, where I can, to the new place. But beyond that, I feel like as eager as I am to get this taken care of, it's too early to do much else.

It also speaks to my desire to take stock of my possessions and get rid of as many as possible. I culled some junk out of my drawers, and found a handful of books I'd just rather get rid of. I should probably go through my clothes and figure out what I don't wear anymore. I recently gave away a bag of stuff to the thrift store, but I feel like there's got to be even more I should be getting rid of. *Sigh* There's going to be so much stuff to move. All my furniture, all my boxes... gah. I guess the enormity of that is making me want to find some way to do it in pieces starting now, but practicalities are thwarting my anticipatory efforts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...