Wednesday, June 10, 2009

New chain

Yesterday the chain on my anniversary necklace broke. I was upset, but I comforted myself by saying that maybe now was an opportunity to make it shorter, which I'd come to believe would make it appear to better advantage. So today I took it in to the jeweler who repaired the broken pin in Jared's watch. He took one look at the chain and told me it was completely shot, the links stressed and compromised to the point where it was no wonder that it broke. He said that the chain was probably about eighteen inches when I first got it, but a year and a half's worth of near-constant wear had stretched it to what was to me an astounding twenty-one inches. I was kind of horrified; I couldn't get over thinking, what if it hadn't broken at home in my room, but rather somewhere where I could have been in danger of losing the pendant? I'm not really the kind of person who gets attached to physical things, but this necklace was a gift from Jared and it's probably more precious to me than anything else I own. The jeweler said he could repair it pretty easily but that it was so stressed it would probably break again. So I ended up buying a new chain, a heavier-gauge one, very pretty and of fourteen carat instead of ten carat white gold, that I actually like better, not to mention the fact that it's not as long or as easily tangled. I probably shouldn't have spent the money, but I love this necklace so much and I wear it almost constantly that it really is worth it to me to have on a truly nice chain so I can continue to wear it. Jared is out of the country so I haven't told him yet, but we once talked about putting it on a different chain because of its length and its fragility, so he probably won't be surprised.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...