Monday, June 18, 2012

I made a preppy beige and burgundy skirt!

Oh, my God, guys, I made a skirt! A skirt for which I drafted the pattern myself! And it fits me great and came together nicely despite the fact that I'm still new to a lot of these techniques!

preppyskirt1
I sized it to fit to my hips instead of my waist, so I didn't have to worry about darts. And I was careful about where my seamlines fell so that the fit was on. I love how it flares out just a little to hug the shape of my hips.

I inserted my very first invisible zipper, which went in okay. Not perfect, I wish I'd gotten the edges closer together, it gaps as the skirt stretches with me as you can see, but it looks pretty presentable. The sloper instructions tells you how to make a waistband, but it looks so nice as it is. The only thing that it might help is the slightly messy top edge where the zipper ends. I may skip the waistband, but I should probably sew in a hook and eye at least.
preppyskirt2

I even managed to match the lines of the plaid to itself pretty well! At least the horizontal lines. But it doesn't look too weird.
preppyskirt3

This fabric started life as a valance curtain I got at the thrift store, so I used the finished edges it already had for the waist and hem of the skirt. That happened to work out cleanly, I thought I was at least going to have to make a new hem. The other thing the instructions recommend is a lining, which I may also eschew. It fits so nicely as it, a lining would make it heavier. Also, I've never lined anything before, so maybe I don't want to risk messing up the skirt.

It probably needs a few finishing touches, but I'm really happy with it. I'd like to wear it tomorrow, though it might be a little short for the office. Still, it's so preppy and chic, and my legs have been looking so long and toned lately, it might be a shame not to. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...